Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Fighting For Her Life

On my favorite reality show/soap opera, Starting Over, housemate Jill has been making the case for her life.

Several months back Jill's life coach -- the amazing Iyanla Van Zant -- recently arranged for Jill to be "indicted" for leading an unfulfilled life. Ever since, Jill has been building a case to take before the judge and yesterday was the trial. Jill went before the Honorable Della Reese (another proud black woman) and pled her case. She told Judge Reese that she had learned to stick to her commitments and to stand for herself "even when no one is watching and no one cares but me."

Here's what else Jill said:

"The purpose of my life is to live my entire life in harmony so that I may put action in my words so that I may make my dreams come true; forgiving the pain and knowing that without judgement, there is no need for forgiveness."

She continued:
"My life coach has taught me to keep it simple. That I am the only one who can make my life difficult and that thinking is hazardous to my healing, but my heart will never lead me wrong."

Jill concluded by saying:
"I want to honor God and be as magnificent as all of his creatures. My vision for my life is to be BIG and LOVE IT and love myself just as I am RIGHT NOW."

I was moved to tears listening to Jill's eloquent plea. She has a few more roadblocks to move past before she graduates from the SO House, but I think her speech before the judge should serve as a model for every one of us who resolves NOT to leave this planet before we do all we can with what we've got.

After the judge's ruling, a gospel choir rose and sang a beautiful version of "I Walk in the Love of God" and Jill added, "This was the first time in my life I didn't want to take a shortcut. I wanted to walk through it and feel all of it and be a better person."

Amen, Jill.

You can find out more about Jill and the other housemates at www.startingovertv.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home