Saturday, April 15, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

Tax Day has always had special meaning for me -- it's the proud day of my birth, making me a bossy, outspoken Aries.

For the past 20 years, I have enjoyed my own tradition for the big day:

I dress in grey and pink (in honor of Miss Audrey Hepburn's performance as Susie the blind woman in the classic thriller, "Wait Until Dark" when she wore a chic grey skirt and pink turtleneck while battling evil drug smugglers). Then, sometime during the day, I eat pizza and watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's." I just assumed everyone knew about this movie, but last year I watched it with some younger friends and I realized "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was more than 40 years old! Most of them had never even heard of it, which did not bring joy to my enlarging middle-aged bones.

This year has been especially fun. My beloved brought a new pair of eyes to my birthday ritual. He noticed the set design, imagery, color palette...it was wonderful to see what I had never noticed before. Truly, I never gave Blake Edwards that much credit -- and I should have.

So this year's birthday brings something that everyone should have as they enter middle age: a fresh vision of our most familiar and precious experiences and a wonderful person to share it with.

Mazel Tov!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home