Thursday, October 20, 2005

George Clooney is a Mensch

I really like George Clooney and not just because he's a big movie star.

I started thinking he was cool when he produced the live version of "Fail Safe" in black and white for television a few years back. It exposed his subversive side (it was definitely a political statement) and harkened back to an era of history and television that fascinates me and holds lessons for today.

His NPR interview this week on "Fresh Air" with Terry Gross reveals a lot more insight than he usually gets to share in your typical celebrity interview. And I REALLY love that he challenged Bill O'Reilly on the Charlie Rose show this week. Do you remember his bold statements against the paparazzi a few years back? And when he told Bill O'Reilly to "prove it" when he claimed that George was misusing his celebrity to raise money for a 9/11 cause?

His latest great thing is "Good Night and Good Luck" -- a movie that is brilliant and smart (smarter than we all want to admit a movie star can be). As a teacher, I was always excited to share the McCarthy chapter of history with my students because it is so important to remember. And to think that George is actually having to challenge the "revisionists" who claim McCarthy was a patriot? In a crazy-ass world, George is staying sane and solid and doing what's right.

He's got balls, good looks, a house in Italy, and he's not afraid to admit that he doesn't want to have kids. What's not to like?

Salt 'n' Pepa said it best:
"What a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man..."

2 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Ian C. said...

As a heterosexual man, I feel completely comfortable in admitting I have a man-crush on Clooney. The dude is not only cool, but I think he's become an admirable filmmaker and media critic.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As another heterosexual man, I feel completely pleased to learn about the phenomenon of 'man crush.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home